Hughesdale Primary School was established in 1924, and has evolved over nearly a century to be a leading school that prioritises strong community connections and leading learning outcomes for all students.
Our parent community highly values education. It has a strong voice through School Council and through a wide range of formal and informal Committees or Groups. Parents are engaged in whole school initiatives and through social gatherings that are co-designed to foster strengthened relationships and family connectedness to the school and one-another.
Our teachers have a strong commitment to lifelong learning that is fundamental to our ongoing pursuit of excellence. Hughesdale Primary School utilises research, whole school approaches and student centred initiatives to model this growth mindset. As a community of learners, we are all engaged in our philosophical approach; “Aim High”
Our students are supported to build friendships, confidence, compassion and intrinsic motivation as they deepen engagement with Curriculum developing Personal and Social learning, Creative and Critical Thinking, Intercultural understanding and Ethics. With explicit teaching, our students are actively engaged with the language and tools required to articulate and analyse their learning, set Learning Goals and reflect on “Where to next?”
Academic success is developed in all areas of the Victorian Curriculum including the Learning Areas of;
- English, including Reading & Viewing, Writing, Speaking & Listening
- Mathematics, including Number & Algebra, Measurement & Geometry, Statistics & Probability
- The Humanities, including Civics & Citizenship, Economics & Business, Geography and History
- Technologies, including Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), Design & Technologies and Digital Technologies
- Health and Physical Education, including Interschool Sport competitions in Years 5 & 6
- The Arts, including Dance, Drama, Performing Arts, Music, Visual Arts
- Languages (Mandarin)
Extra Curricular Opportunities Include;
- Camping Programs
- Whole School Swimming Program
- Piano & Guitar Lessons
- Chess Club
- Victorian State School’s Spectacular (Dance & Choir)
- Textiles Club
- Dance Club
- Training Ground for the Bentleigh Lakers Basketball Teams
and this list is growing each Term!
Our buildings are steeped in history, and we are excited to be recipients of a two storey, eight classroom, purpose built facility that is being constructed in 2018. The estimated date for habitation is the beginning of 2019. This learning space will continue to build on the collaborative practice and planning already in place at the school, while accommodating all classes within their own classrooms.
I do hope that if you are considering a school for your child, that you will be able to bring lots of questions and join me for a Tour. School Tours are conducted at 9:15am on Thursday mornings by appointment (Ph; (03) 9570-4808) and you will be warmly welcomed.
I look forward to meeting you,